What are hives?
Hives, also known as urticaria, are a common allergic reaction on the skin. They usually occur when the immune system releases histamines into the bloodstream. Histamines are the body’s natural immune response against infections and foreign bodies. The skin in hives appears:
- Flesh-coloured or darker pink appearance of the skin
- Raised welts
- Itchy skin
- Hot to the touch
We have a natural treatment to manage hives, urticaria,welts with our Naturopaths, and Homeopaths.
What are the causes of hives?
Hives are an elevated histamine response to various things that the body considers a threat. The hives could be caused by:
- Insect bites, such as from spiders and mosquitoes, Usually, the hives appear on or near the location of the bite.
- Dust, pollen, and animal dander
- Medications, such as antibiotics, anticancer drugs, and ibuprofen
- Toxins and heavy metals
- Food allergies or food intolerances, such as to shellfish, fish, and eggs
- Stress and anxiety
- Exercise-induced hives
- Excessive exposure to hot or cold temperatures (temperature-induced hives)
Acute hives appear for a short time and may require acute treatment. With the right type of holistic natural treatment, the allergy can be treated relatively easily.
Acute hives are caused solely by:
- Insect bites
- Drug reactions (medications)
- Allergic response to something acutely exposed, such as toxins or fumes
Chronic hives are ongoing cases of hives that do not necessarily have an obvious cause. Usually, chronic hives or chronic urticaria are linked to autoimmune conditions such as:
- Celiac disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Type 1 diabetes
- Thyroid diseases
Are hives contagious?
No, hives are not contagious and cannot spread from one person to another.
Do hives mean that I am allergic to something?
Most cases of hives and urticaria are linked to an elevated histamine response. High histamine is the body’s natural immune reaction to allergens and toxins. However, if the hives are not improving with standard allergy or antihistamine treatment, further investigation may be required.
Morkare’s approach to the treatment of Hives/Urticaria/Welts
At Morkare, our team of naturopaths and homoeopaths works closely together to provide a natural and comprehensive treatment for hives/welts/urticaria. Morkare has helped many children and adults with hives by:
- Identifying the underlying cause or trigger of the hives
- Boosting immunity and reducing inflammation
- Treating infections or toxins
- Providing a natural antihistamine treatment