What is Vaginal thrush?
Vaginal thrush, also known as vaginal yeast infection or candidiasis, is a common fungal infection that affects the vaginal area. It is typically caused by the overgrowth of a fungus called Candida albicans or other Candida species.
We at Morkare Natural Clinic can help you with Holistic Naturopathic and homeopathic treatment for Vaginal Thrush
- Redness and Swelling: The vulva (the outer part of the genital area) may become red and swollen.
- tching: Itching around the vaginal area is one of the most common symptoms of vaginal thrush.
- Vaginal Discharge: Women with thrush often experience a thick, white, cottage cheese-like discharge.
- Burning Sensation: A burning or soreness in the vaginal area, especially during urination or intercourse, is common.
- Pain and Discomfort: Some women may experience pain and discomfort in the vaginal area.
How to identify Vaginal Thrush
- Clinical evaluation: The diagnosis of a vaginal yeast infection typically involves a healthcare provider evaluating your symptoms and medical history, including any recent antibiotic use, medical conditions, or other factors that may increase your risk of thrush.
- Physical examination: A visual examination of the vaginal area may be required and an assessment of symptoms like itching, discharge, and redness.
- Swab test: a swab or sample of from the vaginal discharge may be taken. The collected sample is then sent to a laboratory for analysis to identify the presence of Candida fungus.
Here at Morkare, we offer comprehensive vaginal microbiome testing to provide valuable insights into the microbial composition of the vagina. This testing is especially beneficial for women who experience recurrent infections. You can read more about vaginal microbiome testing here: Vaginal Microbiome Testing – Morkare Natural Clinic
1. Candida Overgrowth: Vaginal thrush is primarily caused by an overgrowth of the fungus Candida albicans. This overgrowth can be triggered by various factors.
2. Hormonal Changes: Hormonal changes, such as those during pregnancy, menstrual cycle, or menopause, can affect the vaginal environment and make it more susceptible to thrush.
3. Antibiotic Use: Taking antibiotics can disrupt the natural balance of microorganisms in the body, including the yeast that normally keeps Candida in check, leading to an overgrowth of yeast.
4. Weakened Immune System: A weakened immune system, whether due to conditions like HIV/AIDS or medications that suppress the immune system, can increase the risk of thrush.
5. Diabetes: Poorly controlled diabetes can lead to elevated sugar levels in vaginal secretions, providing an ideal environment for yeast to thrive.
6. Stress: High-stress levels can affect the body’s immune response and may contribute to yeast infections.
7. Douching: Douching or using harsh feminine hygiene products can disrupt the natural balance of vaginal flora and make the vagina more susceptible to infections.
How our team of Naturopaths and Homeopaths can help with Vaginal Thrush. We are the best naturopathic clinic in this area to help with vaginal thrush:
- Herbal Medicine: Herbal remedies known for their antifungal or immune-boosting properties may be recommended. Examples include Pau darco, Garlic, Oregano oil, Tea tree oil, and Echinacea.
- Lifestyle Guidance: Provide advice on lifestyle factors that could contribute to thrush, such as stress, hormonal imbalances, or dietary habits. We can provide guidance on proper hygiene practices, including using gentle, pH-balanced cleansers and avoiding harsh soaps or douches that can disrupt the vaginal flora. Stress reduction techniques, such as meditation or yoga, may also be recommended.
- Dietary Recommendations: Focus on dietary changes to support a healthy balance of gut and vaginal flora. We may recommend reducing the intake of sugar and refined carbohydrates, as yeast (Candida) thrives on sugar. Increasing the consumption of prebiotic and probiotic-rich foods like yogurt, kefir, and fermented vegetables may also be suggested to promote beneficial gut bacteria.
- Nutritional supplements: We may recommend supplements like probiotics (specifically strains that support vaginal health), vitamins, and minerals to strengthen the immune system and promote a healthy vaginal environment.
- Homeopathic Remedies: We also stock the Naturepathics Thrush relief remedy which can be found here Children’s Health | Women’s Health | Pregnancy Support | Immune Health (naturepathics.com) It is traditionally used to relieve mild symptoms of thrush such as pain, discomfort, itching, odour, and continuous discharge.