Acid reflux happens when your stomach acid travels too high up in your digestive tract, causing irritation, heartburn, and discomfort. Persistent acid reflux, which does not go away on its own, is called gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
At Morkare, we use a holistic approach to treating both the symptoms and underlying causes of reflux, utilizing nutrition, homeopathy, and naturopathy.
Signs and symptoms
Reflux can often be accompanied by signs and symptoms, including:
- Chest pain
- Difficulty swallowing
- Burning sensation after eating
- Regurgitation or feeling of food coming back up your throat
- Excessive burping
- Sour or bitter taste in your mouth
- Chronic cough
Some of the common causes of reflux, or GERD, include:
- Weak oesophageal sphincter (the muscle at the bottom of your food pipe that stops your stomach contents from rising back up your throat)
- Hormonal fluctuations and weight gain during pregnancy
- Poor diet and eating habits
- Being overweight or obese
- Certain medications, such as NSAIDs like Ibuprofen
How can our expert team can help with reflux?
Our approach to treating reflux will usually involve a comprehensive health assessment to identify contributing factors and rule out any underlying conditions, alongside recommendations around diet, lifestyle and natural remedies to help manage symptoms and address the cause.
- Dietary intake – many people with reflux and GERD find that their symptoms are influenced by what they eat and drink. Working with a qualified Nutritionist, Naturopath or Homeopath to work out which foods trigger your symptoms can be extremely helpful.
- Supplements & herbs – alkalising powders, homeopathics and herbs can all help reduce the symptoms of reflux and target the underlying cause.
- Healthy lifestyle habits – limiting alcohol consumption or smoking, losing weight if you are overweight or obese and establishing good eating habits can all make a big difference when it comes to managing reflux.
- Stool testing – conducting a Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis (CDSA) test can sometimes be helpful in identifying bacterial and pH imbalances in the gut, as well as whether your digestive system is functioning optimally.
- Food intolerance testing – our in-house Food Detective Test may be recommended if it is suspected that food intolerances are contributing to your reflux or GERD.