Food allergies and can have wide-ranging effects on the body, damaging your gut and dysregulating your immune system, opening the door to numerous health issues.
Food allergies are more common in children than adults and occur when the body mounts an immune response to a food that is either ingested or touches the skin. The reaction is normally very fast (within 20 minutes to 2 hours) and can affect breathing, the gastrointestinal tract, skin and heart, and even be life-threatening.
Food allergies are also different from auto-immune reactions to food, such as in Coeliac Disease. In this case, people develop an auto-immune response in the small intestine to a protein in wheat called gluten. The auto-immune response damages the gut lining, often reducing absorption of nutrients.
We at Morkare Natural Clinic can help you with a combined Naturopathic, Homeopathic, and Nutritional treatments for food allergies and food.
- Bloating after eating certain foods
- Headaches or migraines
- Brain fog
- Chronic constipation or diarrhea
- Stomach pains or cramping
- Excessive flatulence
- Asthma and/or difficulty breathing
- Difficulty gaining weight or losing weight
- Chronic fatigue despite eating well
- Hives, skin rashes or eczema
- Joint stiffness or pain for no apparent reason
What are food allergies and how to Identify?
If you suspect you have a food allergy, it’s best to get diagnosed by a qualified practitioner to ensure you are not overlooking a potentially concerning medical problem, or unnecessarily avoiding a particular food group and missing out on essential nutrients required for optimal health.
The idetification of food allergies involves a combination of medical history, physical examination, and specific tests.
At Morkare, our Nutritionist, Naturopath and Homeopath use the Food Detective Test which checks for IgG antibody reactions to 59 commonly eaten foods to help our patients pinpoint their food intolerances. This test is performed in Clinic by our Nutritionist, Naturopath or Homeopath using a blood sample from a simple finger-prick and results are ready within 48 hours.
We also refer our patients for other tests externally, such as blood tests to check for Coeliac Disease or Food Allergy Tests, where required.
Common causes of food allergies include:
- Family history of allergic disease
- Immune system reaction to a food protein
- Intestinal permeability (damaged gut lining or ‘leaky gut’)
How a Nutritionist / Naturopath / Homeopath can help with Food Allergies
- Functional Testing: A Nutritionist or Naturopath can discuss testing options with you to help diagnose food allergies or food intolerances and rule out other conditions such as Coeliac Disease.
- Dietary Advice: A Nutritionist or Naturopath can provide personalised dietary advice and guidance based on your individual food reactions so that you have alternatives and can still maintain a balanced diet.
- Nutritional, Herbal & Homeopathic Medicines: We may prescribe specific supplements or homeopathic remedies to support gut healing, improve digestion and help regulate your immune system while removing the reactive foods for a period of time.